Sunday, March 27, 2011

Creating my front cover

For my front cover, I started off with this photo:


I then opened it up in Photoshop, increased the saturation of the photo to make it more striking, and erased the background using the "background eraser" tool:


Next, I pasted the cut out version onto a new Photoshop document, and stretched the photo so the model appeared taller and to make the photo more in proportion with the page. I then went went over the edges of the image with the "magnetic lasso" tool and the "eraser tool" to make sure I had deleted all of the background, before going over the edges with the "blur" and "smudge" tools to blend the image into the background and smooth all edges:


I then used the "spot healing brush" tool to get rid of any imperfections on the photo, added the masthead and strapline (using fonts from www.dafont.com) and added borders with the "stroke" tool:


I chose the strapline "Your Number One Source For New Music" as if fitted in well with the genre of music magazine that I was making (featuring new up and coming indie bands)and with the title "Underground."

At this point I noticed that the figure's face in the main image and focal point was quite dark, so I followed an online tutorial explaining how to fix it. I then used the "lasso" tool to make a selection of the figure's face and neck, and adjusted the curves of that selection:



I made a final adjustment to the face by using the "dodge" tool on the left eye to whiten it further, making it colour coordinated with the background, and giving the impression that the figure was 'looking' out of the page:


Finally, I added sell-lines along the bottom and right-hand side of the page using a font from www.dafont.com and the "horizontal type" tool on Photoshop, as well as inserting a barcode (which I got off the internet)and price:


Although £3.20 was the average result regarding price, from my first survey, this was based on music magazines with slightly more content; using this price/content ratio, I therefore calculated that my magazine should be priced at £2.20.

No comments:

Post a Comment